Go to Top

earthquake insuranceEarthquake Insurance

Earthquake Insurance can protect you. Your agent will partner with you to design a policy with the right coverages for your needs.

Before You Buy Earthquake Insurance  

Earthquake insurance covers some of the losses and damage that earthquakes can cause to your home, belongings, and other buildings on your property.

If you have a mortgage, you must have homeowners insurance. But you do not have to buy earthquake insurance.

  • Your homeowners insurance does not cover earthquake damage (except fire—California law says that both homeowners renters insurance must cover fire damage that is caused by or follows an earthquake. This means that the fire damage is covered, whether or not you have earthquake insurance).

I have homeowners insurance. How can I get earthquake insurance?

If you have homeowners insurance in California, your company must offer to sell you earthquake insurance. It must offer this every other year.

  • The offer must be in writing. It must tell you the amounts it covers (the limits), the deductible, and the premium.
  • You have 30 days to accept the offer. The 30-day period starts the date the company mails the offer to you. If you do not reply, you are rejecting the offer.

Does earthquake insurance cover all damage from earthquakes?

No. There are limits on what earthquake insurance pays. The purpose of earthquake insurance is to help put a roof back over your head. It does not replace everything you lost.

What if I rent?

You can buy earthquake insurance to cover damage to your belongings and to pay for living somewhere else while your rented home is being repaired.

What if I have a condo? 

You can buy earthquake insurance to cover damage to your belongings. It can also pay for living somewhere else while your condo is being repaired. You may also need insurance to help pay for your condo association assessment to repair your building. Talk to your condo association.

What if I have a mobile home?

You can buy earthquake insurance to cover damage to your home and belongings. It can also pay for living somewhere else while your mobile home is being repaired.

The California Earthquake Authority (CEA)

The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) provides most earthquake insurance in California. The CEA offers several basic policies, including a new Homeowners Choice policy. You cannot buy earthquake insurance directly from the CEA. But you can buy it from insurance companies that are members of CEA.

Most companies in California that sell homeowners or renters insurance are members of CEA. A CEA company can only offer CEA policies.

  • You must have homeowners or renters insurance to get CEA earthquake insurance.
  • For more information on the CEA, visit www.earthquakeauthority.com.

For More Information

California Earthquake Authority


  • Learn more about earthquake insurance.
  • Estimate your premium.
  • Print free earthquake preparedness handbooks.

Earthquake Country


  • Find information on retrofitting.
  • Learn how to prevent injuries and make adisaster plan.
  • Learn about risks from fault lines and soiltypes.

National Flood Insurance Program


  • Find information on buying flood insurance.

Seismic Safety Commission


  • Learn about earthquake safety in California.

U.S. GeologicalSurvey


  • Search for fault lines.

Product, coverage, discounts, insurance terms, definitions, and other descriptions are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in your individual insurance contracts, policies.